Hope you had a wonderful summer. Tomorrow begins September, and another year of Parent Assembly activities starts!
Although our meetings are usually on the first Friday of each month, this month we delayed our meeting by a week so as not to interfere with Labor Day Weekend. Our first meeting will be a week from tomorrow, Friday, September 8, 2017.
While we’re at it, here is the schedule for the entire year:
Friday, December 1(tentative Holiday Party)
Thursday, January 4 (Auction)
Friday June 1(Annual Meeting)
The meeting next Friday will be at Fantasma, Seventh Avenue at 33rd Street (Enter on 33rd). Roger Dreyer and the folks at Fantasma have been very gracious and welcomed us back.We owe Fantasma our thanks!
The meeting on the 8th is being planned by our new entertainment chair and Second V.P. Harrison Kramer. His plans:
1. Pizza and pre-meeting jam/hangout,starting around 6 PM
2. Business meeting.
3. Meet and greet. We will go around the room and everyone will introduce himself or herself. Please be prepared to say something about your interests in magic, how long you’ve been at it, and what motivates you as a magician.
4. Discussion of the assembly’s desires for after-meeting entertainment. Do we want more….lectures….shows…workshops…presentations….etc.
5. Presentations and Critiques. Please bring something to show. This can be a trick, a move, a prop, and idea, or just your beautiful face. If you have something you are working on please show it so the group can give you feedback.
6. A possible surprise! (Still in the works).
You may recall that last year we tried to collect information to compile an up-to-date assembly directory. We only got replies from about a quarter of our members, so we abandoned the effort. I am going to attach the form we produced then, and ask that you complete it and return it to Past President Ed Martin, Past President and current Secretary Steve Gross, or Past President and current President , me. (Do you notice a theme here?)
While we here in the northeast have had relatively calm weather, we are all very aware of the tragedy being suffered by our compeers and others around the Gulf of Mexico. Until the end of the horrible disaster we cannot estimate the losses and needs of fellow magicians and allied artists affected by the storm. Our existing relief funds will in no way be enough. The Society of American Magicians Magic Endowment Fund encourages donations earmarked for DISASTER RELIEF.- Mail to: Magic Endowment Fund, 18 Stony Creek Road- Hilton Head SC 29928 or send by paypal [email protected] (message DISASTER). And thanks for your generousity.
Hope to see you next Friday, September 8th, at Fantasma. Meanwhile, enjoy the long weekend.
Yours in M-U-M,